FUTURE WEST IS HIRING AN EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Future West Executive Director Job Description
Future West seeks an executive director to lead this dynamic organization into the future. Based in Bozeman, MT this well-respected nonprofit provides communities across the Rocky Mountain West with support and tools to help decision makers and citizens address issues related to growth and change in a manner that meets their needs without sacrificing quality of life and community character. We also bolster the efforts of people and organizations to conserve working landscapes and healthy wildlife populations. Our work with towns, rural residents and a multitude of diverse partners allows communities to pro-actively respond to the conservation and development challenges of the rapidly changing west.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Future West programs, staff, expansion, fiscal management, and revenue generation.
Board of Directors
- Responsible for shared leadership with the Future West Board of Directors to fulfill the organization’s mission
- Communicate effectively with, and engage the board to ensure that it functions properly and makes informed decisions
- Lead efforts to build the capacity of the existing board and cultivate diverse new board members
Planning and Program Implementation
- Provide creative and visionary leadership that inspires and guides program staff
- Lead organizational strategic planning efforts
- Monitor progress in achieving the organization’s strategic plan and overall mission
- Oversee programs and help implement program work
- Seek new opportunities to support communities responding to the rapidly changing West
- Assist with periodic program evaluation
- Budget development and fiscal management and monitoring of an annual budget and budget updates
- Ensure legal and tax related paperwork is submitted
- Seek grant and new foundation funding opportunities and build and strengthen existing foundation relationships
- Oversee and monitor foundation proposal development and related reporting requirements
- Develop fee-for-service contracts that reflect the organizational goals and mission
- Cultivate individual donors and sustain these relationships
- Lead other fundraising efforts such as special events, appeals, and related social media outreach
Communication and Marketing
- Serve as the face and principal spokesperson for the organization, its vision and programs
- Promote Future West services to Western communities
- Raise the profile of Future West for partnerships and education
Staff and Contractor Supervision
- Lead program planning and project and staff evaluations
- Manage Future West staff and associates
- Provide mentoring and leadership for staff development
- An understanding and passion for the mission and goals of the organization
- Some familiarity with current organizational and program issues and geography
- Nonprofit management
- Experience working with and supporting the development of a board of directors
- Documented record of successful grant writing, donor development, and excellent fundraising skills
- Experience in fee-for-service and program marketing
- Budget, grant and financial management
- Strong written and oral communication skills and familiarity with social media and remote and virtual communication techniques
- A creative and strategic thinker and entrepreneurial spirit
- Leadership and management skills supporting dynamic, creative staff
- Ability to work with a wide range of community leaders
- Strong working knowledge of the conservation and community challenges of the rapidly changing West
SALARY AND BENEFITS: $70,000 – $80,000 depending on experience, plus health care insurance and retirement contribution.
JOB LOCATION: The Future West office is located in Bozeman, MT. Consideration will be given to working from a remote location within four hours from the Bozeman office.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Submit one (1) pdf file containing cover letter articulating your qualifications and a current resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application review will begin May 15.
Managing Growth in the New West Webinar Series
Interested in learning what you can do about the multitude of growth management challenges facing the Northern Rockies? Please join Future West as we host a free webinar series entitled, MANAGING GROWTH IN THE NEW WEST. Our aim is to inspire and inform local actions by both governmental and non-governmental entities that will address priority issues related to rapid growth and change. Each month, we will offer a webinar featuring individuals with in-depth knowledge of planning, sustainable development and growth management issues – leaders in their fields who can foster a more complete understanding of the challenges and related opportunities.
Join us for our third webinar: Building Strong Towns Featuring Chuck Mahron. WEDNESDAY MAY 12th, 11:00AM MST
To watch recordings of past webinars and learn more about upcoming webinars, click here: Managing Growth in the New West: An Educational Webinar Series.
Future West has just released a short video profile of the communities in the High Divide region – the chain of counties connecting Greater Yellowstone with the wildlands of Central Idaho and the Glacier area. Though focused on this region, the video showcases the pioneering work of Future West in helping rural Western communities identify and achieve the future they want. Click this link to view the video: High Divide: Communities In Transition.
Check out our recent publication: Celebrating and Expanding Ten Years of Community-Based Conservation Success. It tells the story of Future West – what we’ve done in our first ten years and our newest project: Sustaining the New West. We’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas about our work.