Chama Peak Land Alliance
Future West partnered with the Chama Peak Land Alliance to provide staff capacity to this innovative private landowner conservation group.
The Alliance is an association of conservation-minded landowners working collaboratively to practice and promote ecologically and economically sound land management in the southern San Juan Mountains of Colorado and northern New Mexico.
Development of a vibrant and productive network of conservation minded landowners learning from one another and providing a unified voice for private land conservation and sustainable management that benefits the ecosystems and wildlife of the region;
Protecting water resources and community values of greatest concern by planning for oil and gas development;
Advancing private land stewardship projects and conservation at the landscape scale;
Completion of a forest restoration and wood biomass utilization study in the region
The Alliance is an effective catalyst in the region to advance and strengthen a sustainable, land-based economy, revitalize community connections to the land, and provide opportunities for the community to grow, learn and thrive.
- Promote cultural awareness, build friendships, and increase collaboration through active engagement on conservation and land-related issues of common interest
- Develop educational and economic development opportunities to strengthen a sustainable land-based economy and revitalize community connections to the land
- Protection and conservation of vital water resources
- Study of wildlife migration corridors along the NM and CO border
- Forest health restoration at the landscape scale
- Increase capacity in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado to promote private land conservation management
- Serve as a voice on policy matters impacting private lands conservation management
Western Landowners Alliance, Groundtruth Geographics, Rio Arriba County, NM, Archuleta County, CO, Trout Unlimited, NM State Forestry Department, and many more.